Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sorrowfully Sincerely Sick Sigh.....



Beans is under the weather....wonder where that expression came from...under the weather...hmmm, aren't we all under vastly the same weather? Hmmm, standby...I am going to google that phrase for full understanding of it's roots....

Ok here is the result:
To say that someone is "under the weather" is to say that they are not feeling very well. Example: "What's wrong?" Answer: "I'm a bit under the weather." They probably have a simple cold or flu which will go away quickly. Example: "It's nothing serious; I'm just a bit under the weather." Being "under the weather" reminds us that a quick change in the weather can affect our health and the way we feel.

Huh, not very helpful, let me try again...hold on...

I believe that "under the weather" is an old sailor phrase. When men were sick, they would rest below deck and thus were literally "under" the weather on deck

Another site visitor gave his/her opinion about this idiom:
Moreover, the deck they were under was likely "the weather deck", meaning the most exposed deck on the ship, usually the foredeck (over the seamen's quarters at the front end of the ship) or the quarterdeck(where the helm was located, high for a good view). Either way, if you needed to be sick, you wouldn't want to "toss your cookies" where the wind could toss them back in your face, nor would anyone with you want you to do so. You'd be firmly told to "under the weather" to be sick.

Ok that was a bit more helpful...and I shall remember to keep Beans downwind. Thank you lovely folks at google for that. And bonus! This time I didn't have to search for a pic of a bomb as was required in a previous post....Homeland Security has yet to show up on my doorstep...shoot...I just typed bomb and Homeland security in the same sentence...now they are TOTALLY gonna put me on their watch list. Bummer.

Anyhoo, as I was saying, Beans has been under the weather, under the deck on our ship called home, whatev...the boy is sick. Just a bug, high fever with chills....then he'll switch to being freezing cold....and just for fun he throws some puke around every few hours just to keep it interesting. I've never had a child puke so much as this one. Sigh, poor lil dude. 90% love, 1% attitude and 9% puke.

No comments: