Monday, November 24, 2008

Learnin lessons like a grown up

Do you ever have those moments in your life when you really feel like the grown up? When it hits you that the balls in your court kid, only it's not playground basketball anymore..it's the big leagues and these decisions will last well beyond recess? I am having one of those moments..again. Without going into too much detail we are dealing with another tough school decision...seems to be our running theme since we moved here hasn't it? John and I are big supporters of Christian education, always have been, always will be but boy are we experiencing SUCH disappointment. Long, long story very short...we removed Jason from 1st quarter English because we STRONGLY disagreed with the chosen novel, The Hatchet.


He ended up being independently assigned the honors english novel, Call of the Wild...not a problem there but it was a big stress for Jason and I to keep the pace of that, get the work done, take all of the tests, all with ZERO support from the school. It was very much a you don't like what we choose, then here. Figure it out yourself type of mentality. Knowing it was the right decision we pushed through. When I was informed of the next novel they were studying(now that I have lost COMPLETE faith in their ability to make sound choices) I started looking into it and let me just say...it's happening again. The Giver.


Anyone read it? Note that they are both Newberry Medal winners...uhhh, Broke Back Mountain won the Oscar, enough said. These secualar awards mean nothing to me. I start reading it tomorrow before Jason begins/or doesn't begin for that matter next Monday. I am actually in shock that this is happening again. So that's my story for the day. Sorry no smiles here today....I'm too busy playing in the grown up league. Grown up league bites.

3 comments:

Doug Handlin said...

Hey Sonja,
This is Unca Doug. Hang in there girl. You're an amazing awesome mom and you need to fight for your innocent children just like you're doing. Fight the good fight, I'm in your corner.
If I can do ANYTHING to support your effort let me know.
Love you dearly,
Unca Doug

Papa said...

that goes for papa too!!

Pielstick said...

Sonia, You know how I feel about this issue... I am so proud of you for standing up for what is right. You are an awesome mom!
Lisa